Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New armies for Max!

Hello everyone!

Just a short update today. After much playing around with army builder to see if I could come up with another space marine list I liked, I decided that Pedro was the only way to go for me. So, my marine army is effectively finished, with the exception of my two space hulk terminator squads I need to paint. It's time for me to move on to my next project(s).

I've owned almost every army to this point, with the exception of necrons. I knew I wanted something that was xenos. Fortunately, my girlfriend's mother got me a Tau Hammerhead for Christmas, so I've gone about building a small force. I had intended to make the Tau another 2,000+ point army to add to my marines, but with their new codex supposedly coming out this year, I decided to keep it small and wait for the codex. So, I ended up with a 1,250ish point army that I can play in all the smaller point team tournaments that the castle runs. It has roughly the following:

Shas'el Commander - plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker, targeting array, 2 shield drones
Crisis Suit Team(3) - plasma rifles, missile pods, multi-trackers
Stealth Suit Team (3) - blacksun filters, team leader with fusion blaster
12 Firewarriors - Devilfish with multi-tracker, disruption pods
12 Kroot Carnivores
2 Hammerhead Gunships - Railguns, burst cannons, multi-trackers, disruption pods, blacksun filters

It's a pretty solid list, and I'm very content just goofing with this in small games and painting it slowly until the new codex comes out.

That leaves me currently with wanting to get another 2,000 point army. I'm deciding to go about this more with more of a hobbyist's interest, I want to love every model in this army. The Vostroyan Firstborn have always been some of my favorite infantry models in the range, but with one huge downfall - they are ridiculously expensive. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without breaking the bank, but still using models I love. I'm leaning towards going with a Grey Knight army with some henchmen built in. I hear my friends groaning, and I'm aware this will be my forth Grey Knight army. Truth be told, I think if I build this army without going along with the standard powergaming lists, I'll really enjoy it. This means no dreadnoughts, razorbacks, paladins, librarians or Draigo. This is what I have so far:

Inquisitor Coteaz

Secondary HQ - I'm thinking Stern, as no one uses him, and I think his fluff rules are fucking awesome. If I lean towards purifiers, I'll use Crowe. Alternatively, I could ditch the second HQ entirely for another henchmen squad.

Terminator Squad - Not sure on equipment yet.

Two Henchmen Squads - I'm thinking two ten man squads with plasmas in one and meltas in the other, in some sort of transport. It might be fun to make them have hotshot lasguns as well. I'm going to be using Vostroyans for these, that way I get the models I want without breaking the bank.

Two Strike Squads - I like the utility of being able to deep strike them if I want, and the amount of firepower they can lay down. I could use purifiers instead. Either way, the unit will have two psycannons, psybolt ammo, 10 men, and a variety of melee weapons.

Two Land Raiders - psybolt ammo and multi-meltas. I figure the lascannons would be nice.

This is pretty close to the old daemonhunters army I used to run. All of the models in the army are favorites of mine, and I could most likely put this together for under $300. I just need to get it iron out and ready for purchase before my birthday next month.

What do you guys think? I would prefer that you leave the "He's starting another army he's already sold, he's going to sell this one too, LOLOLOL" nonsense out of it. This is just want I do, you should know that by now. The idea now is to make an army that I like enough to not want to sell. I want real feedback!

- Max

3 comments:

  1. Joe! i signed up finally. Join the greater good, for reals this time! Stick with it dude. new book eventually, youll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the greater good. It can be a really awesome fun army to play. I always avoided it. To few shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liking the Grey Knights Nardo, you could go with a theme of them being the Elite guard of a planet and Have another Inquistor there as well as second HQ. Coteaz is there to see whats going down as we all truly know you love CHAOS!

    ReplyDelete