Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gearing up for Temple Con – Chaos Marine Style


Well, I purchased and registered for TempleCon down in Warwick, Rhode Island along with some of the other guys here. I, however, will have quite the challenge on my hand. How does one take Chaos and make them, well, competitive in the GT format?

I have some tough match-ups against hordes, and definitely against the newer marine armies that seem to outnumber, out-gun and out-class my beloved Chaos.

I have played with so many options with Chaos Marines and I keep running into the same wall. Lack of boots on turf. I could take out a Rhino here and there and get two normal chaos marines, or one of any marked marine, since they are expensive but fill roles. Also I could put down the fancy characters like Abbadon, and go a more generic route. But, overall my beloved Chaos have shown their age and no longer can I lash and smash as well as I have once before.

Here I give to you the Fallen Brethren:

2000 Pt. “The Fallen Brethren” Chaos Space Marines

HQ:
Chaos Sorcerer: Slaanesh, Wings, Lash Of Submission
Chaos Sorcerer: Slaanesh, Terminator Armor, Lash Of Submission, Personal Icon

Elites:
Chaos Terminators x3: 3x Combi-Melta, 1x Chain-fist

Troops:

8 Khorne Beserkers: Champion: Powerfist
5 Plague Marines: 2x Melta Guns, Personal Icon Rhino: Combi-Melta
5 Plague Marines: 2x Melta Guns, Personal Icon Rhino: Combi-Melta
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Melta Guns, Mark of Undivided, Champion: Powerfist Combi-Melta Rhino: Combi-Melta
Summoned Lesser Daemons x8
Summoned Lesser Daemons x7

Heavy Support:

Landraider: Daemonic Possession
Obliterators x2
Obliterators x2

As you can tell its a normal lash and beat your face in army. I rely heavily on short ranged fire, but have that extra punch with the khorne berserkers. The only problem is that I look at things like death company compared to these guys. They have pretty much the same stats all around, except death company have the drawback of rage, and the benefit of feel no pain for less Points. Is rage really that much of a downfall? Also if I do want resilient units, I must take Plague Marines, and yet again pay out the nose for them. Is it really worth it? I have to ask myself these questions when I see the new shiny codices - but I will try to remain true. One thing the newer armies don’t have is the ability to manipulate where units are placed and the awesome firepower of Obliterators.

That's enough comparison to the newer codices. I'm going to play around with this for a bit, see what I like and don’t like and adjust from there. I just have a feeling that one thing goes the wrong way, then well I may be looking at a lot of hurt coming my way. Either way we won't know until we try, and I'm looking forward to getting some much needed test runs in and I may do some paint touch ups here and there.

Cardin

2 comments:

  1. You're not wrong, it's definitely a challenge. It comes with the territory of being an older codex, you're going to have less bang for the buck. I don't think it can be overstated how important lash and obliterators are to chaos marines. The ability to move your opponents unit is incredible. That, combined with the weapon versatility of obliterators, will make up some of the ground between you and the newer armies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To note, Played test game, need to revamp this list and the revamped list. Man its hard playing Chaos, what crazy stuff can I pull out of a hat.

    ReplyDelete